Badminton is a racquet and shuttlecock game developed in the 19th century. This game is played between two or four players that hit the shuttlecock by racquets across the net. It is fun for both children and adults to play this sport.
Check out our list of the best badminton nets.
The badminton court, which is made up of wood, polyester, and cement materials, consists of a badminton net placed in the middle of it. It is essential to know the height of the badminton net as per the rules of BWF statutes.
What is The Height of a Badminton Net?
For badminton net height, the top edge of each side of the net should be 5 feet and 1 inch off from the ground.
Why is That The Badminton Net Height?
The main purpose of having a five-foot-one net is to make it a little more difficult, however if the net is too high, a badminton shuttlecock would simply lob on every shot, making the game boring. As this game is played across the net, the badminton net plays a vital role in the game.
For the exact height of the badminton net, here are some more rules of the court to know and put the badminton net at its precise height.
- Court Size: Generally, the court size is 44 feet long and 20 feet wide for singles or 17 feet wide for doubles.
- Badminton Net Poles: Poles are the essential elements of the game. These are the twin verticals that hold the net steady and works as a barrier for the players when hitting the shuttlecock.
- The Material of the Badminton Net: The professional badminton playing nets are made up of high-quality, heavy-duty, natural, or synthetic vinyl and nylon poly-rope cable cords for indoor and outdoor play. The outdoor nets are made up of durable weather-treated nylon with a thick cord of 15-20 mm. The right net must be durable and sturdy.
- Dimensions of Common Badminton Nets: The dimension of common nets for standard badminton games should be the same. It should have a depth of 2 feet and 6 inches. The top edge of each side of the net should be 5 feet and 1 inch off from the ground. The net is stretched across in the middle of the court i.e., 16 and a half feet long. The middle top edge of the net should be 5 feet off from the ground. The top of the badminton net is edged with a white cloth of 75 mm. No gaps should be there between the ends of the net and the posts. Standard dimensions of the net help the professional players to practice their skills.
Are Badminton Nets and Volleyball Nets the Same Height?
No, badminton and volleyball nets are different sizes. For starters, the regulation volleyball net height is 7 feet, 11 ⅝ inches, or 2.43 meters (this is the same for standing disabled men’s volleyball teams). This is compared to badminton that is only a touch over five-foot-tall. A volleyball court is also wider, meaning the net is wider too. For more information, see if you can play badminton on a volleyball court.
How to Set the Badminton Net in the Court
- Hardware: You need to gather the badminton poles for the net. Tie up the badminton net on either end of the aluminum poles by a loop or eyebolt.
- Stakes: Insert the first pole with stakes into the ground using the support of guy wire. After that, pull the badminton net and stretch out to see where you have to insert the second pole into the ground. Mark that area and insert another pole with stakes into the ground. Measure the net accurately and make sure the dimensions of the net should be precise as per the rules of badminton.
- Boundaries: Mark the edges of the court by using flagging tape, rope, chalk, or spray paint. There are different dimensions mentioned in the rules of badminton. For singles, the court should be 44 feet long and 17 feet wide, and for doubles, it should be 44 feet long and 20 feet wide.
- Lines: Mark long, short, and center service lines on the court that run along parallel to the badminton net. The short line should be 6 feet and 6 inches from the net. The long line should be 2 feet and 6 inches from the line at the back of the court. Both the halves of the court should be marked with these lines. The center service line must be marked down the middle of the court i.e., perpendicular to the net.
Types of Badminton Nets
- Indoor Badminton Nets: These nets are designed to play badminton in indoor courts as it eliminates the effect of wind on the shuttlecock. As it is easy to set up, it makes it more preferable. Guy wires are not used in setting up the poles, and accessories are easy to stabilize in the indoor court. It supports a weighted T-bar mechanism to maintain stability and allows it to set up on any level of the surface.
- Outdoor Badminton Nets: Outdoor nets are made up of high-quality, heavy-duty, durable material for use on an outdoor court. To install the poles, you need to insert the posts into the ground with stakes. An extra replaceable badminton set should be purchased for your outdoor court. Outdoor nets are the best investment to play in all seasons to stay active and energized.
- Portable Badminton Nets: These nets are designed to be uprooted and moved easily anywhere without sacrificing stability. Like outdoor badminton nets, portable nets are required to be staked into the ground. The net is made up of high-quality vinyl or nylon cords that can withstand in all seasons with high stability and durability. The portable badminton set is comprised of two posts, net and weights or anchors to keep the net upright. The badminton nets are inexpensive and easy to install and move on the go.
Check out our list of the best badminton nets
The Bottom Line
The height of the badminton net is an essential aspect of this game. It is necessary to know such a big thing in this game before playing it. According to the IBF rules, the net with correct dimensions needs to be installed on a required place in the court for playing badminton events. Get a durable and weatherproof badminton net for your game!